Why Mass Distance Charges (MDC's)

Heavy vehicle owners/operators are obliged to pay their fair share towards the maintenance of Namibia's road infrastructure, as the consumption of roads increases more sharply with the increase of vehicle mass. Mass Distance Charges(MDC) are aimed to redress this inequity, hence its introduction in 2007 (Government Notice nr.70 dated 30 March 2007).MDC is levied to heavy vehicles in addition to Vehicle Registration Fees, Annual Licence Fees, Abnormal Load Fees, Fuel Levies and Cross Border Charges (CBC).

Do MDCs apply to local and foreign-registered vehicles?

MDCs apply to both local and foreign registered vehicles in excess of 3,500kg; utilizing Namibia's road network.Owners/operators of foreign-registered vehicles are referred to the Bisection of the website under Road User Charges.

Where and how do local owners/operators of heavy vehicles register MDCs?

All owners/operators of heavy vehicles registered in Namibia, with a V/DT rating of above 3 500kg, must register by completing the prescribed MDC Registration Form obtainable from the RFA, the RFA websiteand/or any Registering Authority (i.e. NaTIS) closest to them. The MDC Registration Form should be completed by the owner/operator, who must indicate the distance that he/she will be travelling per vehicle in the year following the date of registration.The RFA will also verify that all vehicles, in respect of which the applicant is the registered owner/operator, are listed on the form.

Determination of payment by the RFA

The RFA will in accordance with the distance indicated on the MDC Registration Form, determine the first date of liability for payment of the MDC for a specific vehicle and the intervals at which the operator should pay the MDC.

Licence Renewal

If the owner of a MDC liable heavy vehicle applies for the annuallicensing of that vehicle, he/she should be in a position to provide proof of payment for the MDC to the registering authority before the issuing of a licence disk by the registering authority may be considered.

Law Enforcement

Vehicle operators might be required to present their log books to law enforcement officers countrywide when requested. When owners and operators of Namibian registered vehicles are caught without, or an incomplete log book, such owners/operator may be fined on the spot orface prosecution. An owner/operator who commits an offence in this regard is liable to be fined an amount not exceeding N$4,000. 

Who is responsible for the logbook and how should it be completed?

Owners/operators of heavy vehicles should ensure that the driver of a specific heavy vehicle keeps the current logbook, issued to that specific vehicle, in the vehicle at all times. When the vehicle is operated, the driver must record the distance travelled in kilometres in the logbook. Owners/operators of heavy vehicles should also ensure that the driver records the distance travelled correctly for the specific vehicle. The owners/operators must correctly calculate the total amount due to the RFA for all their heavy vehicles, which should all be MDC registered.

Where and how are MDCs payable?

Owners/operators are required to complete their assessments for the period under review on the prescribed Assessment Form. Assessment Forms can be obtained from the RFA directly or on its website. MDCs are paid directly into the RFA's bank account, via bank guaranteed cheque deposits and/or electronic fund transfers.

The RFA's bank details for MDC are:

Account Name:                   Road Fund Administration - MDC

Financial Institution:           Standard Bank Namibia

Branch Number:                 082372

Account Number:               04 142 4360

Branch Name:                   Windhoek Branch

To who should the assessments be submitted? 

All assessments can be handed in directly at the RFA's Head office in Windhoek, or at any Registering Authority (i.e. NaTIS) nearest to you. Assessments must be accompanied by the original proof of payment (i.e. bank deposits slips and/or electronic fund transfer confirmation of payment).

Please take note that under no circumstances should cash be submitted with the Assessment Form. The RFA will accept no liability in this regard.

What documents should be submitted? 

The following documents should be submitted with all assessments to the RFA or any Registering Authority (i.e. NaTIS) nearest to you:

Verification by the RFA 

Officials of the RFA and/or Registering Authority (i.e. NaTIS), depending on where the assessments were handed in, will verify and confirm receipt of the above-mentioned documents by ticking a checklist, signing and providing a copy of the assessment to the owner/operator. The RFA will process these documents and verify all information contained on them. Once all information has been verified as correct, the owner/operator will be issued with a Receipt.